Get a free quote now.
Is it safe for pregnant patients to receive chiropractic care?
Yes, it is not only safe to receive chiropractic care while pregnant, there are a lot of benefits to it. Regular visits to a chiropractor during your pregnancy can be extremely beneficial to your pregnancy and birth, but always make sure to get approval from your doctor to rule out any contraindications to chiropractic care.
What are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy?
Potential benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include:
- Maintaining a healthier pregnancy: Chiropractic adjustments boost the immune system and regulate the digestive system
- Controlling symptoms of nausea: Pregnancy can cause tension in the neck, and a chiropractic adjustment can calm the nervous system and relieve these nausea symptoms
- Relieving back, neck, ligament, or joint pain: Pregnant women experience many hormonal and physical changes during pregnancy that have an impact on posture, comfort, spine alignment, and joints. As the baby becomes heavier, your center of gravity shifts and your posture adjusts accordingly. Chiropractic care can relieve the pain and discomfort pregnancy causes
- Reducing the time of labor and delivery: Better alignment in the pelvic region can decrease intrauterine constraints and may allow the baby to pass through the labor canal with more ease
- Preventing a potential cesarean delivery: Many cesarean deliveries are the result of malposition of the fetus. Chiropractic care has been associated with a reduction in the number of cesarean deliveries caused by the fetus being malpositioned for delivery
When should I start chiropractic care during pregnancy?
We recommend starting your pregnancy chiropractic care as soon as possible. During the first trimester, we can still have patients lay on their stomachs so we have more treatment options available to us. Once the second trimester starts, we focus on seated or side-lying adjustments. We can treat patients from the start of pregnancy until the day of the birth.
Are there any restrictions on adjustments at the chiropractor?
While chiropractic care is completely safe during pregnancy, a few changes we make at Team Elite are:
- We don’t use laser therapy over the back or abdomen while pregnant
- After the 2nd trimester, we don’t have the patient lay face down for treatment
- We use less force with adjustments because ligaments are pretty relaxed and adjust easier while pregnant
We meet our patients where they are and tailor every treatment based on their needs that day. As pregnancy progresses, their needs and treatment plan could change. We listen closely to our patients and ensure they receive a custom experience based on how they are feeling.
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, book your appointment with the talented chiropractors at Team Elite Chiropractic today.